Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Perspective...

I talked last post about DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hips).  Edie was "diagnosed" with DDH on her first day of life.  She has been wearing a Pavlik harness since she was less than 24 hours old. She knows nothing other than being in the harness. It doesn't seem to bother her.

However, it bothers me a lot.  The last thing a first time mother wants to see is her sweet, precious, adorable baby girl have to be put into a harness that looks so horrible.  She can't wear dresses, footed pajamas, gowns, shoes, socks, etc. with the brace.  So, to be very straightforward, I hate the thing.  

I cant tell you how many times a week i have to explain to people what it is.  The worst is when someone says, "What's wrong with her?"..... How do you respond nicely to that? For me, I just say something like:  "her hips joints didn't form all the way, so she has to wear this until the dr decides they have." (Nothing is WRONG with her!)

Hopefully, she will be getting the brace off for good at her October appointment.  (Less than 3 weeks). 

But, this post is about perspective.

Edie has a fantastic orthopedic doctor; the best one around.  We've been to see him at his office 2 times since she was born.  Each time we go see him, there are always kids with broken arms sitting in the waiting room.  Broken arms.....  So, there is poor, pitiful me with my baby in this horrible harness.... Feeling sorry for myself over in the corner.

The last visit we had went well.  On our way out of the office, we stopped by the receptionist desk to turn in our file.  That's when it happened.  A little boy came walking through the door from the waiting room.  This little boy was probably 10 years old or so.  When I use the term "walking", I mean with assistance.  This little boy (wearing an Auburn shirt!) had braces on his legs.  He was walking with a walker.  It seemed there might also be mental issues as well.  He saw Edie and got a smile on his face and said, "baby!"  

And that's when it really hit me... How stupid am I?  Who cares if my child can't wear a dress right now? Or stupid footed pajamas??? There are so many parents out there that get horrible news about their babies every day...and I'm worried about a removable harness she hopefully only has to wear for a total of 3 months? 

Without ever knowing it, that sweet 10 year old boy put me RIGHT in my place. I should be thanking God every day for my sweet, precious, adorable, HEALTHY baby girl.  And saying a prayer for the parents in the world that God has deemed worthy to care for His special children. 


Edie in her Pavlik harness (holding Grandaddys hand). 



No comments:

Post a Comment